Tuesday, December 23, 2008

where I'm from

I am from the brown house down the dusty forested road, from Crayola crayons and tickle fights on Saturday mornings.


I’m from Mr. Rogers’ neighborhood, My Little Ponies, and the Fisher-Price little people.


From Goodnight Moon, the Berenstain Bears, and The Monster at the End of this Book.


I am from family road trips, cousins at Christmas, and singing along with Raffi in the car.


From homemade chicken and noodle soup, raspberry jam, and warm apple pie with whipped cream.


I’m from “practice your piano,” from “wash your hands before you eat” and “go to your room.”


I am from church every Sunday, from Psalm 23, and stories of missionary adventures.


I’m from tree forts and chattering squirrels, hunting for huckleberries, and long hikes to watch the sunset over the mountains.


From Capture the Flag, loud cabin chants, and panning for fool’s gold in the summer.


I’m from salamanders and mosquito bites, from dirty feet and tangled hair.


I am from finding God in the people I meet, in pine trees and campfires, and the quiet reflections on a lake.


I am from my father's selflessness and my mother's spontaneity, from siblings who love to laugh, and my husband who loves life and people.


I couldn’t ask to be from more.


4 comments:

Rebekah said...

Hey, I'm glad you found me! Hope you and the family are doing well. Bet your little one is growing fast.

Love this post--such a good idea! =)

Jason and Terra said...

Hi Becca...I am not sure why, but I had not found your blog until now! I love this poem...it brings me back to the wonderful days at camp, which makes me smile.

Julie A said...

Hey! Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate it. I just finished reading the Twilight series...it was pretty good. I am thrilled about your other suggestions and will soon be going to the book store. I hope everything is going well. I am glad that you also found the humor in him liking Harry Potter:)

Sarah Mae said...

You crack me up! Don't worry, I'm resting...it doesn't take a lot to sit at a computer and blog! :)

I really appreciate you caring!